Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Just Do It.

Have you ever wanted to do something and then you subconsciously told yourself "no, don't do what, that's a stupid idea!" I do that at least 300 times a day and usually I don't do the self proclaimed "stupid" idea, because most of the time that idea is out of my comfort zone. 

I always had a really great relationship with my comfort zone. I respected the boundaries that I had with my comfort zone and I never crossed the invisible line and did something that would make me feel less than confident. I always had this fear of doing something stupid and having people notice and then boom, immediate humiliation. I always wondered what other people were thinking about me and what people would say, so I always calculated every little thing I did. I never did anything that would make me feel uncomfortable.. I would have friends that would say "just do it." What did they think my life was, a Nike commercial? I was never, ever going to cross my comfort line and do something...crazy. Even when the action was not outlandish in the least, if it wasn't something that I thought I couldn't do with poise and grace (or with whatever grace and poise I have) I wouldn't even attempt to do such a thing. 

Until now.

I have been trying to step away from the cozy, comfortable zone that I have been in for the past 20 years and I am trying to go out and do things that I wouldn't normally do. I'm taking steps into things that I wouldn't normally be comfortable doing. But, who ever said that life was supposed to be comfortable? I'm trying to embrace any moment and opportunity to do things, and listen to that little voice in my head that says "do that thing that you really want to do!" and ignore the idiotic voice that says "don't do that, you're going to look stupid!

Life is all about the thrill and the risk and the uncertainty. I've embraced the fact that I can't be 'perfect' all the time, especially if it's holding me back from things I want to do. So, I'm starting to listen to the three words I heard from a choir of friends for years: just do it

[Sidenote: The instance that inspired this blog post ended up turning out positively. And proud of myself.]


No comments:

Post a Comment